This year, we are having two weekends of performances!
A deviously delicious Broadway and Hollywood sci-fi smash musical, Little Shop Of Horrors has devoured the hearts of theatre goers for over 30 years. Howard Ashman and Alan Menken (Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Beauty And The Beast, and Aladdin) are the creative geniuses behind what has become one of the most popular shows in the world.
The meek floral assistant Seymour Krelborn stumbles across a new breed of plant he names “Audrey II” – after his coworker crush. This foul-mouthed, R&B-singing carnivore promises unending fame and fortune to the down and out Krelborn as long as he keeps feeding it, BLOOD. Over time, though, Seymour discovers Audrey II’s out of this world origins and intent towards global domination!
The music, composed by Menken in the style of early 1960s rock and roll, doo-wop and early Motown, includes several well-known tunes, including the title song, “Skid Row (Downtown)”, “Somewhere That’s Green”, and “Suddenly, Seymour”.
- September 7th – 7pm
- September 10th – 2pm
**Callbacks will be Tuesday September 12th at 7pm, if necessary
“Little Shop of Horrors” with the HAC is a non-paid, community theatre opportunity. Everyone and anyone in the central Ohio area, entering 9th grade and older, is invited to audition. While we schedule two days of auditions, you only need to attend one audition session. At this time there is no need for an appointment.
We request that you bring a photo. It does not have to be formal or fancy. If you’ve never done a show with us before, it will help us remember who you are.
Those auditioning should be prepared to:
- Sing a portion (16 bars) of a prepared song that shows vocal range (it’s ok if it comes from the show). A pianist will be available.
- Participate in a cold reading from the script (for those wishing a speaking role)
- Participate in a dance audition
**Please note that by auditioning, you are obligating yourself to a considerable rehearsal and performance process – including two weekends of performances. Be certain that you are willing and able to make this commitment. After the auditions, all who audition are contacted via email regarding casting decisions. An announcement is made at auditions, to let auditionees know when they should expect to hear from the production team.
Callbacks will be scheduled if/as necessary. Not being called back does not mean that you are not be in the show. Likewise, being called back does not guarantee participation.
A cast list is posted on the HAC website once it is final. Casting decisions are ultimately made by the Director, Music Director and Choreographer and are final. HAC reserves the right to recast a part if a performer behaves in a manner that is deemed detrimental to the production.
Rehearsals are generally held M-Th 7-9 pm, Sat. 9-11 am and Sun. 2-4 pm Performance location:
Hilliard Civic and Cultural Arts Center 5425 Center St, Hilliard, OH 43026
- October 13-14 at 8 p.m. and October 15 at 3 p.m.
- October 20- 21 at 8 p.m. and October 22 at 3 p.m.
Buy your tickets online now! Depending on ticket sales, limited tickets will be available at the door. We do anticipate a sellout, so we encourage you to buy your tickets early.
- Seymour Krelborn – An insecure, put-upon florist’s clerk and eventual hero. He is a genuine, well-meaning man who is taken for granted because of his clumsy ways and poor social skills. A sweet, well-meaning little man. He is NOT a silly, prattling nerd, and therefore should not be played as the hero of a Jerry Lewis film. Gender: Male Age: 25 to 35 Vocal range: G4 – A2
- Audrey – Bleached-blond, Billie-Dawn-like, secret love of Seymour’s life. If you rolled Carole Channing, Goldie Hawn, Judy Holiday and Marlyn Monroe into one person and removed their education and feelings of self worth, placed them in spike heels and a low cut dress, then shook them up in a test tube to extract what is sweetest and most vulnerable – You’d get Audrey. Gender: Female Age: 25 to 35 Vocal range: D5 – G#3
- Mr. Mushnik – The seasoned owner of the failing East Side flower shop and Seymour’s nosy boss. He is profit-driven, greedy, and manipulative. Gender: Male Age: 55 to 65 Vocal range: F4 – G2
- Orin Scrivello – An egotistical dentist with a passion for leather and sadistic tendencies. Think egotistical pretty-boy. Audrey’s abusive boyfriend, who is targeted by Seymour. Gender: Male Age: 30 to 40 Vocal range: G4 – G2
- The Plant (audrey II) – Puppet. An anthropomorphic cross between a Venus flytrap and an avocado, the plant has an appetite for human flesh that is appeased by Seymour. Puppeteer doubles as other sizes of the plant. Voice Of The Plant An actor/vocalist located offstage. The voice is that of a conniving, street-smart ‘villain.’ A funky Rhythm and Blues voice is best. Gender: Male Age: 20 to 50 Vocal range: G4 – G2
- Crystal Crystal, Ronnette and Chiffon are street urchins, acting as the occasional Greek Chorus. Young, hip, and smart, these girls are the only ones who have a grip on reality. Gender: Female Age: 20 to 35 Vocal range: F5 – Ab3
- Other non-singing roles will be available.